The book with the most 1-star reviews on Amazon
… is unknown. (If you’re an Amazon employee and you’d like to leak this information, you can get in touch.)
Here’s what we do know: among the best-selling books on the site*, the one with the most 1-star reviews is Fifty Shades of Grey. It has 13,651 1-star ratings (out of 111,090).
Here are the 1-star review counts for other best sellers, as of Monday, March 27, 2023:
- To Kill a Mockingbird: 2,251 (out of 106,548 ratings)
- The Hunger Games: 1,285 (out of 76,131 ratings)
- Harry Potter Paperback Box Set: 1,419 (out of 101,754 ratings)
You might notice that these are all works of fiction. What about nonfiction books with lots of 1-star reviews? A couple of the top sellers are:
- Strengths Finder 2.0: 814 (out of 8,106 ratings)
- How to Win Friends & Influence People: 1,921 (out of 104,412 ratings)
Looks like Dale Carnegie may be the author to beat within the realm of nonfiction.
If you come across a book with more 1-star review than 50 Shades of Grey, or a nonfiction book with more single-stars than How to Win Friends etc., please let me know. I’m working on a thing …
*According to this article anyway